Breathtaking vistas are on display in this wonderfully designed luxury Muir Beach property. Seen from most rooms, the panoramic view includes the Marin shoreline, the shoreline & skyline of San Francisco from Twin Peaks west to the wide expanse of the open ocean. Throughout the property, pathways meander through the private gardens encountering carefully selected ornamental and native trees, shrubs, and flowers, charming seating nooks with ocean views, a fountain flowing over rocks, and finally a stunning greenhouse with tropical plants and a pond showcasing goldfish, water lilies and lotus plants.
With well curated details, the 2,724 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom main house is worthy of such an exceptional viewshed. NanaWall doors fully open up the living room and Master Suite to an Ipe deck with fire pit and built in seating spanning the length of the ocean front façade. Around the corner, the deck continues to an outdoor eating space, outdoor shower and Redwood hot tub spa with views. Architectural details throughout the home include dramatic cathedral ceilings, museum quality lighting, light maple floors, modern baseless walls with reveal detail, barn doors, custom picture windows and a chef’s kitchen with luxury appliances. In addition to the main house, a separate studio is attached to the fully finished 2 car garage.
- 2 bedroom | 2.5 bathroom | 2724 sq ft main house
- Guest studio
- .65 acres
- Built in 1975; extensively remodeled in 2006 & 2018
- Panoramic ocean views
- Cathedral ceilings in living room (14 ft.) & master bedroom (11 ft.)
- NanaWall doors w/ 3M UV film & electronic sunscreens in living room & master bedroom
- 72-foot Ipe deck facing the ocean
- Lutron GRAFIK Eye-controlled, museum quality professional lighting system
- Baseless walls with reveal detail
- Marvin doors & windows
- Copper standing seam roof, rain gutters, down spouts & door/window head flashings
- Built-in ceiling speakers in kitchen, dining room, living room, master bedroom & master bath
- Sonos control systems for speakers in kitchen, dining room & living room (wired for same in master bedroom & master bath)
- Maple flooring & doors
- Terrazzo floor, island & countertops in kitchen & powder room
- Ocean and garden views
- Custom picture window
- Flow to dining/family room
- SubZero: built-in refrigerator/freezer & separate refrigerator & freezer drawers
- Wolfe: range (6 burner w/ griddle on island), built-in convection microwave & two built-in convection ovens
- Vent-A-Hood exhaust system above range w/ external exhaust
- Built-in Miele espresso maker, steamer & dish warmer
- Miele Inspira Series dishwasher
- Insinkerator garbage disposal
- Kitchen access to deck with hot tub, outdoor shower & eating area
- Maple lighted display cabinets in dining room
- Family Room
- Two large picture windows showcasing gardens in two directions
- Study alcove w/ maple desk, cabinets & doors
- Master Bedroom Suite
- Marble floor, granite countertop & Italian tile in master bath
- Master bathroom w/ Kohler 8’ infinity jacuzzi tub w/ chromatherapy lighting & Dornbracht bath fixtures
- Rain Shower
- Dual walk-in closets w/ built-in maple cabinets
- NanaWall door access to deck
- Ocean views
- Guest Bedroom Suite
- Limestone wall & floor in guest bedroom & bathroom
- Rain Shower
- Pacific Energy wood burning stove
- Ocean Views
- Access to deck
- Rustic wood ceiling with track lighting
- Access to deck
- Ocean views
- Nuheat radiant floor heating in master bath, guest bath & kitchen
- Laundry room with Bosch Axxis washer & dryer with external exhaust, sink w/ granite counter top
- Bonus & storage rooms in basement
- Two car garage (insulated, sheet-rocked & painted) w/ automatic doors w/ driveway LED lighting
- Ipe entry stairs & deck, cedar entrance door, wall & railings
- Fenced garden (450 linear ft. with three gates; all posts set in concrete)
- Extensive landscaping w/ irrigation system
- Pathways & stairs throughout garden
- Florian greenhouse (15.5‘ x 16.5’), temperature controlled w/ automatic roof windows, manual wall-mounted windows, LP gas heater, 500-gallon pond w/ fountain & drain, automatic top-off & filtration system, irrigation system, misting system & four floor drains
- Pond with waterfall adjacent entry deck & stairs
- Outdoor Redwood hot tub/jacuzzi (5-ft deep w/ advanced filtration & LP gas heater)
- Sonoma Forge outdoor copper rain shower w/ wand
- Dry sauna w/ cold shower
- Deck-mounted fire pit
- Solar panels (owned)
- Fire sprinkler system throughout
- New exterior painting
- New interior painting
- 50 KW Kohler generator (LP gas; powers entire house, studio & garage)
- Two Unifi HD Wi-Fi access points & two Lutron auxiliary repeaters
- LP gas hook-up on deck outside kitchen (for outdoor grill)
UPGRADES AND REPAIRS
The home was originally built in 1975 on 0.65 acres and extensively renovated in 1995. In 2006, the house was completely renovated and enlarged to 2724 sq. ft. The renovations included new gabled roof, copper standing seam roof and gutters, two-furnace heating system, kitchen, two bathrooms and powder room, garage-attached studio with bathroom, laundry room, maple floors, exterior and interior doors and windows, Nuheat floor heating in bathrooms and kitchen, large Ipe-surfaced decks, railings and deck foundations, museum quality professional lighting system, NanaWall folding doors in living room and master bedroom, hot tub with shower and dry sauna with cold shower
- Extensive property clean-up, including removal/trimming of wild and overgrown trees, shrubs, weeds, etc.
- Survey property boundaries
- Install new irrigation system main line, valves, controller, etc.
- Pump and inspect septic system
- Construct garden fence 6 ft high, 450 linear feet, with all posts set in concrete footings and three gates
- Remove ~4 large trees to allow more sun on west side of house
- Renovate and reseal NanaWall doors
- Install larger Navien tankless water heater with recirculating storage tank, including re-routing hot water pipes
- Install moisture barrier in crawl space beneath lower level of the house
- Construct planter area below master bath
- Construct four retaining-wall planter areas on west side of house, including stairs, soil fill, etc.
- Construct stone wall on north side of house, including soil fill, stairs and gravel pathway
- Construct stairs in garden to east of house, including gravel pathways
- Install additional irrigation lines to new plantings
- Extend retaining walls below the house and surface all I-beam walls with redwood
- Insulate garage walls and ceiling and sheetrock same
- Reconstruct wall along widened driveway
- Construct firewall between garage and studio
- Install LED lighting in garage and garden room
- Reconstruct fence behind studio unit
- Replace exhaust fans in house and studio bathrooms
- Refurbish both furnaces
- Install new hot tub heater
- Install new fire pit
- Install new Vent-A-Hood exhaust hood over range, including fans and roof vent
- Replace/repair Ipe boards and framing on ocean-facing deck
- Install two glass doors on masterbath shower
- Upgrade lighting in masterbath shower
- Install new Insinkerator garbage disposal
- Remove entry door, stairs, wall and deck and replace with new sliding barn door, entire substructure of deck and stairs, Ipe deck, railings, stair lighting, outlets for landscape lighting
- Refinish maple floors throughout
- Replace four windows with larger Marvin picture windows
- Install 3 Sonos audio units to control speakers in living room, dining room and kitchen and wiring for same the speakers in the master bedroom and master bathroom
- Install two new wi-fi antennas with two repeaters
- Reconfigure and upgrade deck railings on ocean-facing deck
- Renovate hot tub (new valves, re-surface interior, filter mechanism, hand-held control)
- Install new electric subpanel to replace system for garage and studio unit
- Install new sinks in master bathroom and guest bathroom
- Install LED lighting along driveway
- Paint interior of house, garage and studio
- Upgrade interior lighting fixtures
- Install video/audio intercom system at entry gate
- Construct greenhouse (15.5 ft x 16.5 ft x 12 ft tall), including automatic temperature control with side windows and automatic ceiling windows, automatic misting system, 500-gallon koi pond with auto-refill and manual drain, fountain, large planters, overhead lighting, etc.
- Paint exterior of house, garage and studio unit
- Upgrades to borders garden paths, new stones, etc.
- Install new sinks in master bath and guest bath
- Install gutter guards
- Install new Wolf convection microwave
- Replace certain damaged 3M UV films on south/west/east facing windows in living room and master bedroom
- Diamond polish, clean and seal stone, porcelain and terrazzo tiles in kitchen (floor and countertops), master bath, guest bath and powder room
- Extensive plantings of trees, shrubs and flowers began in 2015 and continued through 2019, including many horticultural trees, like Korean and variegated dogwoods, a variety of maples (blood red, green, coral bark and green lace leaf) and a cinnamon-brown-barked Arbutus unedo. There lime, apple, peach, Bing cherry, lemon and citrus trees and a stunning Yoshino Sakura Japanese cherry tree.
Drive six bucolic miles from Highway 101 to the tiny enclave of Muir Beach and you’ve entered another world. The town’s 150 homes perch on a hillside overlooking Muir Beach Cove.
With its limited supply, Muir Beach homes for sale can be hard to come by. The community is entirely surrounded by the magnificent Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which boasts miles of hiking trails. Mount Tamalpais State Park, Muir Woods National Monument, and Green Gulch Farm Zen Center are close by.
Muir Beach Cove is a popular spot for boogie boarding, kayaking, and fishing. Trails lead from the cove to high bluffs -- with breathtaking ocean views. When evening falls and visitors head home, Muir Beach residents enjoy quiet sunset walks along the beach, while the surrounding hillsides come alive with fox, birds, deer, and coyote.
The only commercial enterprise in Muir Beach is The Pelican Inn, a Tudor-style, authentic English pub and hotel. On a rainy afternoon, Muir Beach residents can be found having a cup of hot tea in front of its massive brick fireplace.
From Muir Beach Overlook at the western-most point of Muir Beach, one can see the Farallon Islands in the distance and possibly spot migrating whales.
Homes in Muir Beach don’t hit the market often, but locals will tell you that the wait is worth it as the seaside homes offer dramatic ocean views. Anywhere you live in Muir Beach, you’re just minutes from all of the amenities of a major metropolitan area, yet far from its hustle and bustle.
WHAT WE LOVE
Our View —
The breathtaking view from our deck and garden showcases the rugged rocky coast of the Marin Headlands from Muir Beach cove south to Point Bonita. The view across the Golden Gate extends from Sutro Tower to the Pacific, including the lights of Seacliff at night. Sunrises over the Headlands and San Francisco are stunningly colorful, while in the evening the sunsets are magnificently reflected across the water. We are fortunate to have such natural beauty surround us.
Our Privacy —
Our home is perched near the top of a hill that gently slopes down to Muir Beach. A 75-foot deck facing the water and spanning the length of the house is totally private. Cypress trees below the deck are topped at deck level to hide the neighborhood below so only the pristine hills and ocean appear beyond the treetops. Our home and garden are similarly private owing to extensive plantings that screen nearby homes and passersby.
Our Modern Country Home —
The home’s contemporary design is sophisticated yet casual and the many high-end amenities make it truly a modern home in the country. Light maple floors, museum quality lighting in the living room and the absence of baseboards throughout provide a crisp, modern look while the sliding maple barn doors lend a casual, country feeling. The impressive 14-foot cathedral ceiling in the living room opens onto the deck through folding glass doors spanning the width of the room. That same design is mirrored in the master bedroom which has an 11-foot cathedral ceiling and also opens onto the deck through folding doors. A second bedroom and a study/bedroom open onto the deck through double glass sliders. There is an outdoor five-foot deep jacuzzi, sauna, fire pit and studio separate from the house with a full bathroom.
Our Garden —
While most rooms feature water views, the media room has large windows that frame scenes of the fenced, landscaped garden and waterfall, seemingly bringing the trees, flowers and birdlife inside. Along pathways and stairs throughout the garden one can enjoy nearly 100 year old cypress trees, mature Monterey pines and a California buckeye tree that is endemic to the state. There are many horticultural trees, like Korean and variegated dogwoods, a variety of maples (blood red, green, coral bark and green lace leaf) and a cinnamon-brown-barked Arbutus unedo. There is an orchard in the sunniest area of the property with lime, apple, peach, Bing cherry, lemon and citrus trees. For us, the queen of the garden is a Yoshino Sakura Japanese cherry tree. The flowers and varieties of hydrangea, azalea and rhododendron are too numerous to list. Another highlight is the temperature-controlled tropical greenhouse with orchids and other tropical varieties plus a 500-gallon pond with lotus and water lilies. The property is truly a gardener’s paradise.
Our close Proximity To San Francisco, Mill Valley And Tam Junction —
This modern country home with gorgeous views, ultimate privacy and active wildlife surrounding it is just 20 minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge!
Showings by Appointment:
Contact Stephanie Kirkwood
Request More Information
Additional Property Details